Here is another Oh My Fairytales post and this one is on Reflection by Elizabeth Lim. This is the fourth book in the A Twisted Tale series. In Reflection, we follow the story of Mulan where the twist is “What if Mulan had to travel to the underworld?” I have to say that this has been my favorite in the twisted tales series. Before I get too ahead of my self I will explain more about this book.
In Reflection, we jump right into the scene where they are fighting the Huns on the mountain. In this battle, Shang is injured badly and this is how Mulan still disguised as Ping has to travel to the underworld to save him from death. I loved how Lim created a new story but still made it feel like the story that we already know from the Disney movie. Even though this book is very different from the movie it was so cool how Lim included lines from the movie. For example, she would take a line from early in the movie and add that line to the story she created. It was honestly so fun to find all the lines that were in the movie in this book.
What I also loved is how Lim used reflection to give the story meaning. I feel that you will have to read the book to know exactly what I mean but I thought it was so interesting how she included reflection. The only thing that I didn’t enjoy as much about the book is how it ended. I wanted to know how certain things worked out and those things were left up in the air. Besides that, I felt that this was such an interesting and fun read.
I gave Reflection four stars out of five. This was honestly so fun to read and I can’t wait to read book five in this series Part of Your World by Liz Braswell. In Part of Your World, the twist is “What if Ariel had never defeated Ursula?” doesn’t that sound so good? This book comes out on September 4th so add that to your reading list. That is it all my thoughts on Reflection. Down below you will find links to my other A Twisted Tales reviews! Please check those out. Also, let me know in the comments who your favorite Disney Princess is?
Below this, you will find some of my spoiler thoughts.
Until next time Booknerds,
- This isn’t a spoiler but anytime Mushu had a line I read it in his voice!
- Reflection: Loved the whole last test in the underworld where Mulan had to find her true reflection to get out of there. therefore finding herself. So good!
- I think Shang was more of an ass when he found out that Ping was really Mulan.
- One of the funniest parts of the book is when Mulan, Shang, and ShiShi were falling Mulan didn’t scream because she didn’t know how to scream like a guy and didn’t what that to be the way that Shang learned that Mulan is a girl. I found that so funny.
- Going back to adding lines from the movie. Loved that she included “You trusted Ping, why is Mulan any different?” Also, on page 283 there is a nod to some of the lyrics from “I’ll Make a Man Out of You”.
- I do wish that we got to see Mulan’s reunion with her parents.